To Encourage and Support Education in the field of School Library Science
Deadline June 1, 2022
SLMSSENY is seeking applications from individuals who are:
1. Students currently enrolled in a program leading to certification as a School Library Media Specialist
2. New York State certified school library media specialists looking to further their professional growth and development through continuing education within the field of library studies/technology.
One scholarship will be given, totaling up to $500. The committee reserves the right to divide the awards in the event of a tie.
1. An applicant who is a current student working towards an MLS/MSIS degree (must be a current student member of SLMSSENY and live within the 7 county region).
2. A certified school library media specialist currently employed in the SLMSSENY seven county region who is pursuing professional development (must be a regular member of SLMSSENY), and course must be immediately applicable to your role as a school librarian.
3. Previous winners are not eligible.
Complete the form below.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted by June 1, 2022.
Review and Selection Process
Each application will be evaluated by a blind selection process done through a set committee of Executive Board Members.
Terms of Acceptance
It is the responsibility of the winners to present the SLMSSENY Awards Chair with proof of enrollment, attendance, and completion (bursar's receipts and transcripts) in:
1. an ALA accredited MLS/MSIS program leading to certification as a school librarian or
2. a program of continuing education that encourages growth and development in the library field.
Student applicants are encouraged, upon completion of studies, to seek employment as a school librarian in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster or Westchester counties.
Winners will make every effort to attend the Symposium event to accept the award (see below).
Recognition of Recipient
The recipient(s) will be recognized at our annual Symposium. Award winner(s) will attend with a complimentary registration.
A letter will be sent to the winner's principal, superintendent, program director etc. as applicable.
Winner must provide an image of themselves for promotional purposes that may include postings on website, social media, videos, etc.